Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Big Brother Pedestal

My oldest brother is 11 years older than I am. By the time I was in 2nd grade, he had left home for college, then marriage and then the army only to return to the home area after I had left home for college where I would get married and not ever return to the home area. So you see, while we love each other as family and have much in common because of family, we don't really know each other as adults. I recently wrote him a letter saying much the same thing. Telling him I wanted to know more about him and for him to know more of who I am. Something that I shared with him that was a revelation even for me was that my personal relationship with God began when he was in Viet Nam. Every night for that year, I thanked God for what we had and asked him to bring my brother home. It was the most disciplined prayer time of my life until much later. Now I find myself praying for him again each day. Today marks the third day of his intense chemotherapy that will last 3 more days. Each day taking him closer to death's door. Killing those cells in the hopes of killing the 'sleeper' cancer cells too. Prayerfully he will then receive his own stem cells back into his body by day 8. And then he will begin the long road back. Thankfully he has the greatest wife in the world to help him through this ordeal. And all of his children and their families are close by. But I want to be there too. I want to take him off that big brother pedestal so I can stop feeling like the little sister. I want to know him in a new way. I want him to know who I am and more about my journey with God. I REALLY want him to know Jesus and for us to know that he has accepted Him as Savior. So, whoever reads this, would you please pray: his complete victory over cancer; our future opportunities to get to know each other and mostly for his salvation. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment