Thursday, February 19, 2009

Be A Selfish Momma

You know the view from "over the hill" is really pretty clear on things that you simply couldn't see while traversing up the steep side of the mountain. I realize I may be starting the descent down the other side but I'm confident that this trail ends in God's paradise so I really don't mind.
The point of this post is really directed at those still on the upward ascent, whether you are a mother or a young woman (this could be written for men too). Somewhere in my silly thinking I bought into the 'take care of others first' ideal of being a servant like Jesus. I think I confused being a willing, humble servant with a person that denied herself what seemed to be the luxury of 'self time'. That is because I viewed 'self time' as selfish. My goodness, ladies, if I don't see myself and my relationship with God as having great value, then I'm just a slave to the everyday pressures of life in a fallen world. Yes, I know saying how important the daily quiet time is with God puts added pressure on an already overwhelmed young woman's life. Yes, you already know that seeking God first will 'add' to your life. So why do we make it so hard? Why do we think that special time with our Lord, our Comforter, our Healer, our ________(fill in the blank of what you need today) can be shuffled around the needs of others in our day? Why? Because the enemy doesn't want you to spend time with Him! Yes, you can catch glimpses of Him in your day. You can throw up arrow prayers between carpools. You can grab a quick devotion. You can listen to praise songs as you cook dinner. All of this is good. Yet I want to encourage you to rest with Him! I know that I'm in a different phase of life than many of you that may read this. I know that I didn't do a very good job of resting with Him during my ascent up the mountain. I know that I'm not 100% good at heeding my own words even now. But when I look back, when I see the path twist and turn behind me, when I recall the exhaustion and even anger that I sometimes felt, I see where I didn't take 'self time' to be restored and renewed by Him on a faithful basis. If I could give each of you a gift, it would be 'self time' wrapped up by the Master Gifter Himself. Blessings.

1 comment: