Monday, January 12, 2009

Novice Blogger

After being a lurking blogpost reader, my daughter decided that she would create a blog of my own. I don't have a lot of time but here is a quick insight to an earlier part of my day:

As we pulled on the door to enter the building, the alarms blared obnoxiously loud causing the residents fright and great embarrassment to Martha and myself. Of course, I am reading the sign that tells you about the alarm as I am opening the door. I should have remembered that nursing homes have those alarms. It's probably that I am quite uncomfortable going to hospitals and nursing homes anyway that my brain is disengaged....that is until the alarm system wakes every cell in my body. Well, at this point, we have our foot in the door as they say so onward we go to Annie's room. Annie is a lady in her 40s who has had a life that most of us wouldn't believe if it was made into a movie. She is a recovering heroine addict who found the Lord a few years ago. I must say I have much admiration and respect for the people of the church who adopted and ministered to her over these last years. Sadly, Annie's body has had so much trauma (short list: drugs, beating, shooting, abuse, seizures) that her last surgery has taken a toll leaving her on a ventilator with limited movement. As we visited with her, she seemed to know us and could acknowledge our questions by moving her feet. Now that is an interesting way to have a conversation. Look into someone's eyes as you speak to them then glance down at their feet to watch for a reaction. A new meaning to looking a "person up and down". My hope is that in our visit with Annie, we were able to remind her of a few of the Lord's promises. Her life has been full of broken promises and expectations. As she lies there alone and disabled in body, may her thoughts be on the One who is faithful to His promises. There is always something to learn from each person we meet in life. From Annie I've witnessed a tremendous spirit to survive - even through the most unspeakable horrible events of her life. Right now, and this is probably more honest than I should admit in a first-time blogpost, my desire would be for Annie to embrace her future in eternity with a perfect Father and that she would relinquish the fight to continue surviving in her hurt body. If that is wrong thinking, I'm sorry for it. Yet to imagine her in a new body, in heaven praising her Savior....what a glorious vision.

4 comments:

  1. Well look who made the switch. Welcome to the blogging world. :) I think I'm in agreement with you over Annie's life. Amazing what some people survive through. I would have LOVED to have seen your faces when the alarm started blaring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot, imagine that... I love your header picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yipee Skipee.... glad to see ya!

    ReplyDelete